These days, most business owners know that a website is an essential component of a flourishing business. A website gives you control of your brand and content, allows you to show up in search engines, provides a platform for sharing testimonials and social proof, and, of course, enables you to capture leads and sell.
Wait, what was that last part?
Oh yeah, your website is supposed to help you make money. Is your website doing that for you? If not, read on!
We see two main types of website design clients here at Smarter Searches: those who have a website but hate the way it looks, and those who have a good-looking website that doesn’t work. Sure, it’s pretty, but it isn’t functional; the products aren’t selling, the leads aren’t popping up left and right, and it’s flat-out not helping your business grow.
Sound familiar? Here’s some real talk: a beautiful website that doesn’t convert is useless.
Here’s why your website isn’t turning visitors into paying customers:
- Customers can’t figure out exactly what you do. We’ve touched on this in our guide to performing a website audit, but if your customers don’t understand exactly what you do, they won’t convert. Business owners are so intimately familiar with their work that they often forget to spell it out for customers. Every website needs a clear, one-sentence brand statement that tells customers who you are, what you do, and where you’re located. This needs to be the first thing customers see on your website.
For example: Smarter Searches is a full-service digital marketing agency based in Knoxville that is dedicated to helping businesses grow online.
- Your messaging isn’t customer-focused. Businesses that win online are those that are focused on providing value to their customers. Take a long, honest look at the copy on your website. Are you talking about how great your business is, or are you focusing on how your product or service will improve the lives of your customers? Get to know your customers’ pain points well and speak directly to them in your website copy. Show them that you understand them and that you know how to help them.
- You aren’t featuring your testimonials all over your website. One of the biggest shifts in marketing we’ve seen over the last few years is the importance customers place on trust when making purchasing decisions. The best way to breed trust in your brand is to let your customers’ voices do the talking – not just your own. Feature your testimonials all over your website instead of just on your reviews page.
Quick tip: Invite customers to leave reviews on your Google My Business page and then copy and paste them on your website. This helps with SEO!
- You aren’t making your website personal. Even though you want your website copy to be customer-focused, your customers want to see who they will be working with or purchasing from (back to the previous point on trust!). Show your face on your website and share a little bit about yourself and your story. Customers connect with the human(s) behind the business more than your product or service.
- You don’t make it easy for your customer to take action. So, your website clearly states who you are and what you do, you’re speaking directly to your audience’s needs, and you’re using testimonials and personal stories to build trust with your customers. Your website visitors want to get in touch with you, but…they can’t figure out how.
You need at least two call-to-action buttons on every page of your website: one in your top navigation bar and one at the very bottom of the page, right above your footer. Why? Because website visitors need to be told what to do on your site. Don’t leave them stranded at the bottom of a page on your website and force them to scroll to the top to find the information they need. Make it easy!
Is your website a converting machine?
These five simple steps can help turn your website into a lead-generating or selling machine! Need help implementing these steps or need a new website? We can build an online home for your business that not only looks the part but helps your business grow. Schedule a free consultation call with us to talk about what we can do for you!